A smile restoration, or a “full mouth” restoration, is a great procedure for those who have a lot of dental health issues that also affect the physical appearance of their smile. This type of procedure can involve a combination of cosmetic and restorative treatment. The process is, quite literally, the restructuring of the entire mouth and gives the patient a whole new smile. Our office offers the most trusted and effective full mouth reconstruction and smile makeovers in Maple Shade, New Jersey.
This extensive treatment requires an experienced dentist that specializes in full mouth restoration. Periodontists, Orthodontists, and Endodontists may also be consulted depending on the patient’s periodontal or occlusal needs. Dr. Lee is an expert in this procedure and her team know exactly what you need once they fully examine your oral structures and look at X-rays and impressions.
You may need this procedure if you have the following problems:
- Missing teeth from decay or injury
- Injured, broken or chipped teeth
- Worn down teeth from wear and tear, erosion, or grinding
- Bite problems that have caused pain, headaches, and/or soreness in the jaw
How it Works
If you are a candidate for this restorative procedure, the first step will be a full consultation with Dr. Lee. She will determine if you need porcelain veneers, full-coverage crowns, inlays, onlays, implants, or some bridges. All trauma, decay or other issues with your mouth will be noted as well as any history of root canal treatment, cavities, wear, chips/cracks, and different sized teeth.
Your gums will also be examined for any disease that could hinder an implant or any other procedure. The entire process does require full X-rays, pictures, impressions of all your teeth and bite, and several visits and consultations. Once your case is assessed, Dr. Lee will then decide what the best plan is for you to rebuild your mouth. Keep in mind this type of procedure can take several stages and appointments and could take up to a year to complete. Most restorations are slowly done over a length of time.
Procedures Utilized in a Full Mouth Restoration
- Crowns – your specialist will create crowns and bridges that match your mouth and tooth structure. A crown is simply a prosthetic tooth created to match your teeth perfectly. In a restorative situation, your dentist may actually adjust any remaining natural teeth to match the crowns or vice versa.
- Dental Implants – Dental implants are a prosthetic titanium tooth root that replaces the natural root. This new root grows and bonds with the surrounding tissue as the real natural tooth root would. Once the root fuses with the jawbone, a device called an abutment is placed on top and connected to a crown (the fake tooth). Implants are the ideal option for tooth replacement and last for a very long time.
- Bridges – Bridges, as the name suggests, create a bridge between one or more missing teeth. The treatment usually consists of a few crowns that are placed on either side of the missing tooth and a fake tooth is placed securely between them.
- Inlays/Onlays – These are resin composites that are usually made of porcelain and are bonded over the surface of an existing tooth to repair cracks and chips.
Maple Shade, New Jersey full mouth reconstructions are available in our office and professional staff. We will help you obtain that new smile and teeth you need!
While smile restorations are something that a patient usually needs, a smile alteration is something that a patient will opt to have done to improve their overall smile appearance. Some patients will also choose this procedure because they simply don’t like their smile and want to change the look. It is less severe than restoration and done fairly quickly compared to a reconstructive procedure. A typical smile makeover usually involves veneers and teeth whitening, but can always include other cosmetic or restorative procedures.
A smile makeover often requires specific dental procedures and treatments that only a qualified dentist with strong expertise can perform. Similar techniques used in a full mouth restoration can be utilized on a smaller scale in a smile makeover. Most patients that go for the smile makeover will normally need one or two different type of adjustments or treatments.
Some of the procedures could include:
- Veneers –A composite or porcelain veneer can be placed over cracked, chipped or damaged teeth to improve their overall look and make them proportional to the rest of your smile.
- Teeth Whitening – Making all your teeth the same color and brightening teeth that have been discolored by food, coffee, teeth or alcohol can give you a whole new look.
- Implants – In some cases during a smile makeover one or two implants may be needed. These are simply prosthetic teeth as mentioned above under restorations. The teeth will be made to match the natural teeth perfectly.
In Maple Shade, New Jersey, smile makeover dentistry is available with our team. We can help you decide what procedures are best for you. Call us today for more information on how we can help you achieve the most natural, beautiful smile of your life.
Which Procedure is Right for Me?
To figure out which option is right for you (a smile makeover or a full restoration), call our friendly staff today to set up an appointment for a full consultation. Dr. Lee will examine you and let you know your options and get you on your way to feeling great about your smile again!